Old 12-09-17, 05:52 AM
gfk_velo

Bikes: Too many!

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
Well, first, let me thank you for having taken the time to answer my question in such detail!

1) I mean that it won't shift more than one gear when I depress lever 2, across; the downshifter (i.e., harder) continues to work fine

2) This is, predominantly, my summer or dry-weather bike and almost never sees moisture. I don't naturally perspire gobs, so it is not sweat on the shifters that has caused this (moreover, I wear headsweats head gear that also helps)

I love the drivetrain on this bike because it always shifts as smoothly as cutting into soft butter--perfection! I guess that it really was not as sudden as I have made it out to be; I've actually noticed a slight degradation over the last few rides (I mean that the shifting became erratic); but when it failed, it did so suddenly.

I have now ordered the parts from Branford because these are original from 2007. I'm surprised they have performed as well for so long, frankly.

Now, I have another question. Will I need any specialized tools to do this work? I have a lot of tools already, but I don't know if I will need any exotic "Campy" tools.

Again, I thank everyone on this thread who has take the time to help me out!
No, no particularly special tools are required - in fact with Campagnolo, apart from the chain rivetter, there never have been, particularly ... it's a bit of an urban myth. You don't need any tooling that any decently-equipped workshop hasn't got, other than tools for jobs that don't get done that often, such as crank removal. I can't actually remember the last time I took a chain of for cleaning, either, for that matter.

What I would advise is that you watch the video of the job being done, on the Campagnolo website through, with close attention, several times before you start. When you come to do the job, you won't necessarily have a hand free to pause the video when you get to the tricky bits!

We use a 5mm ball-ended allen key mounted vertically in a vice to hold the lever for most of the process - the "front end" of the lever can all be done "freehand" but once that is in place, the lever is best fixed to the vice this way, by putting the ball end of the 5mm key into the socket on the central spindle.

There comes a point where you have to rotate the internal mechanism from top gear to bottom and that is very easily done with the lever mounted that way, more diffucult by other means.

Apart from that, you'll need a T20 Torx key (if it's a 2007 lever, a 3mm allen key, if not), a 4mm straight blade screwdriver, an 8 mm straight blade screwdriver, a pair of fine nose pliers and a good quality, light grease - Campagnolo use Kluber NB52 Topas but any light synthetic grease will work OK, it's mostly to control corrosion anyway. Avoid mineral-oil based grease, the slow breakdown of the oil tends to rot the hoods and make them go "baggy".

Enjoy ...