View Single Post
Old 12-11-17, 07:37 AM
radripperaj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffOYB
the final 2 races of our season had low barriers that made me want to learn to hop em.

so i've built a learner kit in my yard. i tried it at 8" a couple times. rough! i need a lotta work! and i need to beef up my plank stakes.

i can bunny hop 10" logs easy. planks are harder than logs. and two barriers are niftier yet!

i half want to do it just as a party stunt. the spectators will love it. i'm old -- i'll be the only old guy hopping!

and heck at one race they mighta been only 8". i was so tempted just to try then 'n' there!

as it was i was putting 100 ft on my rivals every time at the barriers. those guys were faster but i could re-catch them every time there. if I coulda been hopping them i woulda been gone!

so many skills, so little time... i also really really helps to go to a race course in the morning and have an afternoon race then practice the darn course as much as possible.
I found the best set up for practicing is to make barriers out of 1 -1/4" pvc with different length legs so you can change the height. have it where there are no legs holding it up the way you are going so they tip over easy if you bump them. this will give you confidence so you can just focus on technique. After that move on to real wood. One thing I figured out was with real wood is I really only needed to completely clear it with my front wheel. My back wheel can touch the barriers and be ok. Heck as long as I got within about 2 inches of the top the back wheel will roll over as long as I still had forward momentum. Good luck