Old 12-13-17, 10:23 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Hey, I asked you first. It sounded like you were somehow questioning Mr Duzer's commitment to LCF since he is profiting from it.
I am not sure she was questioning his commitment. I was however saying that a young single person being financed to travel to different countries and making a healthy salary while doing it makes it easier than most people have it. Jumping on a flight to the Dominican Republic on the company dime, I know you cannot ride a bike to get there, and filming a series on Cock Fights is a lot easier to do than trying to manage a home and family for most people.

And I understand how that is. Back in my youth I ran with a bunch of Sail Boat Cruisers that had a goal of dropping everything and setting sail for ports unknown. Most of us knew that you needed 350 to 500k to fund yourself for two or three years and most of us were willing to sell the house and the car, get some folders and head south towards Mexico and eventually the Panama canal.

It was easy to be part of this car free group when I was single. And by the definition of this forum they were as car free as most and more so than many. I didn't have a car either, I had a motorcycle. But by the time I could afford a boat big enough with the right equipment I got married. Things were still good and we got a business partner to help outfit the boat. The birth of my son and the death of our business partner meant that we never made the transition to cruiser and I ended up back in business full time. If someone like the History Channel was paying the travel tab I might have been car free and living between ports today.

It is all a matter of perspective I think. I worked for a CEO who was car free. The flew from a Mountain Community to Long Beach/LA in his plane. He flew from the airport to the company in a helicopter. If he had to go somewhere the company car picked him up and dropped him off. He didn't own a car at least till he retired that I knew about. Don't know if that makes him a car free hero however.

My perspective anyway.