View Single Post
Old 12-17-17, 05:27 AM
Mark Mandolin

Bikes: Home built Ebike, 2001 Diamondback bmx, Norco Katmandu hard tail mountain bike, 197? Apollo 10 speed road bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What to look for in an Ebike. Definitely if your mechanically inclined but not super rich a kit definitely gives you more bang for the buck.
For me the simplicity speed and regenerative braking of a direct drive hub makes direct drive my choice. 72 volt system on my wish list currently running 52v Ideally with a thermostat in motor hooked up to version 3 cycle analyst which has software to back off current as motor overheats.
A steel frame for strength not a bad idea although my bike mechanic says decent aluminum frame should be just as strong
Fenders or mud guards just don't look cool and rear carrier basically doubles in function as back fender so fenders not wanted
Full suspension. I have not owned full suspension. But the cheap mountain bike which is my Ebike platform originally came with a cheap sprung fork. Totally hated it and switched to plain solid steel fork. However just bought a used hard tail with a much nicer suntour sprung fork and definitely don't want to switch it out. You get what you pay for..... A decent used full suspension bike is well over a grand in Canada but those bikes have axle holes not drop outs so difficult to install hub motor but would make an awesome mid drive.
Battery? 52, 60, or 72 volts the ideal watt hours Moreno then I can afford
I like a simple twist throttle and pedal whenever I wish
Big tires 2.4" biggest that will fit between frame rails of what I own
I don't agree weight not an issue. I should be getting top speed of 60kmh on flat but only get 55 as I'm 230lb. Your asking the bike frame to perform beyond what it was built for so how much weight is safe? Add weight of equipment plus me plus luggage now 300 lbs bumping over potholes. Hmmmm better keep it light.
Every one is different every situation different so no wrong or right here. Oh. Here's a pic of the only cool fenders they ever made and endorsed by a sports expert to boot!
Happy Holidays
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
eatonfastb.jpeg (16.7 KB, 52 views)