View Single Post
Old 12-17-17, 11:02 AM
Mark Mandolin

Bikes: Home built Ebike, 2001 Diamondback bmx, Norco Katmandu hard tail mountain bike, 197? Apollo 10 speed road bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by angerdan
Investing 1300€ for a german design, european made MTB with Bosch motor is possible for everyone who can afford a own car. The best kit isn't that good in power/range and does cost 50% more (vivax assist).

72V isn't compatible to any bicycle light and batteries with that high voltage are rare.
36-48V is a better standard.

If cycling would be about looking cool, everyone would have a real expensive model.
It's about beeing multi-role purpose capable and easy to use/maintain. So instead of spending time after each ride to clean it up, fenders do prevent that very effective.
A rear carrier maybe stops 5% of wet and dirt during rainy weather, so you look like a mud digger on your back afterwards.

Weight isn't a issue with electric bicycles, gear and motor power are.
Only S-Pedelecs are capable of reaching 45km/h, because the needed power against the air resistance is strong at speeds higher than 40km/h.
For 60km/h there are R-pedelecs like the M1 Spitzing.

Laws do classify twist throttle on electric bicycles as motor vehicle in most countries, so no use of cycle lanes allowed, special insurance, tax has to be paid, helmet, licence plate and more expensive light needed.
eBikes - licenses, registration and insurance needed..
https://www.juicybike.co.uk/uk-europe-ebike-law
?Twist and go? type approval guidance emerges
Electric bikes and UK law: what you need to know - Cycling Weekly
Firstly you can get an Ebike light that works from 12 to 100v and everything in between

ElectroLights - Product Info

Secondly where I live any electric bike is cool it's rare to see. Every body can't afford an expensive Ebike but let's face it all ebikes are cool but no fenders are cooler. Did you see my pic? Cool factor very tongue in cheek
Thirdly any Ebike with a big enough motor will exceed 45kph. I cruise at 50 kph and get a top speed of 55 kph on the flats I paid around 1400 Euros for my kit no way I could buy factory Ebike for that money giving me this much performance
And yes weight does matter because I would be getting a top speed of 60 kph if I weighed 175 lbs instead of my 230+ lb.

And U.K. has some draconian laws on the books and I'm truly sorry for you.

Here in Canada rule is motor has to be 500w or under How you control it is up to you I believe twist throttle ok. and where I live the police are way too busy to worry about me what with gang warfare shootings fentanyl crisis the petty crime from the many junkies with mental health issues etc etc

And so is my bike legal? I don't know I'm no electrician.

Futility of Motor Power Ratings

Ultimately there is no right or wrong answer just personal preference.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark Mandolin; 12-17-17 at 11:39 AM.