Old 12-29-17, 08:27 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked 3,411 Times in 1,591 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
The Dairyland Dare is not too far away for you.
Just saying....

that's all.

Just saying....
it's nice to see someone use a "soft sell" for a change.

Mr IAB has approached me at different times, as has Mr. Crank Addict. I probably need to think about it again, but my recollection is that I haven't attended because my vintage bikes are not set up for that sort of terrain. i.e. they have a low gear of 42 x 24.

I do have steel bikes with lower gearing, and they are even from local-ish custom builders, but aren't that special.
Since my vintage bikes are suited for flat-ish land (which is where I live), I have joined Mr. IAB and Crank Addict for spring and fall rides in the Crystal Lake area. Had a very nice time, met a number of fellow vintage nerds, and keep trying to return (although Mr. IAB seems to have angered The Gods of Weather lately).

FWIW, I am considering retrofitting the Hetchins with some vintage-ish compact gearing... maybe one of those SunXCD cranks in the style of the TA Cyclotouriste?... with the goal of using it on hilly routes.
(anyone got something similar for sale with 175mm arms?)
To be honest, I was thinking of using it for riding in the area west of St. Louis. Many years ago, I lived there, and really loved riding in the hills around Babler Park, Wildwood, etc. I've been traveling there this year and riding on the old familiar roads and loving it. Maybe others would want to join in for a vintage ride in these hills??

Steve in Peoria
(always looking for a good excuse to ride with fellow vintage nerds)