Old 01-01-18, 06:57 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by BBassett
For some reason, you say E-Assist bicycle like that is different than other ebikes. There are hub motors and mid-drive motor and a few other exotics and/or lame designs. But you are using electricity to "assist" making it easy and more fun. That is what they are doing in Europe too, it's not magical. I can't get on and ride my bike without peddling. That is what initiates the motor. I peddle and the motor turns-on. If I peddle harder or faster it doesn't apply more power from the motor. Any extra effort goes into the chain and to my Rohloff and I go faster. Gearing works exactly the same as comparable bikes. So if I am riding at full weight (500+ lbs, with rider and gear)and approach a steep hill, I either have to step-up the peddle power or raise the motor power for the incline (gravity wants her pound of flesh). Everyone talks about it being hard to climb hills. But it really isn't. It just takes a lot longer. Your cadence should be the same climbing as when cruising on level ground. We change the gears to achieve that cadence. The better you get the more steady the cadence regardless of the road angle. Same with a motor... dial in the gear and then the power necessary to maintain your cadence peddling and walk up the hill, just with a slower forward momentum. I can't do what I do with a 500w motor, let alone less. Armstrong on the "good stuff" couldn't do what I am doing with a 750w center drive. I DO go over 28 mph sometimes though, so do you. It's called descending, hair flying in the breeze, sometimes even with my legs spread wide and yelling "Waa Hoo". I think if you are hellbent on raining on someone's parade you should start comparing hub motors (of any size) to your oh-so-loved Moped. Regulate those bad boys anyway you want. They are the one with 5, 6 or 7000w runners with a thumb throttle. Go get those guys, I just want to ride anywhere a bike can go and do it safely. Moped are meant for the roads and bike aren't necessarily. And of course you have had a bear chase you, you're Canadian ain't ya?
Ah, now there's the basic misunderstanding of how EU systems are legislated, not just by power available... It's also how it's applied... Just because you turn the crank, it wouldn't make an EU E-Assist bicycle move. You ACTUALLY need/must put pressure onto the pedals to make the bicycle move. My BionX is 100% EU compliant. what that means is, if I don't pedal and by that I mean actually pedal, not just rotate the crank, meaning I have to be putting pressure onto the pedals or I go nowhere... For instance on level 1 If I put 10Lbs of pressure onto the pedals I would get 35% of assistance. Meaning 3.5Lbs of pressure added onto my pedaling effort... If I only put 1Lbs of pressure onto the pedals I would only get .35Lbs of assistance... Thus making my E-assisted bicycle still a bicycle. IMO Yes it is still motorised but I still have to supply most of the effort to make it move.

A bear chasing one is not funny...