View Single Post
Old 01-04-18, 10:52 AM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Dahon modifications?

Now that I have put a few miles on my first folding bike, I have a clear idea what is going to need modification.

The current set up; single big ring, 8 speed cassette, and Neos 8 are not going to work for the hilly area I live. In addition, flat bars make hill climbing a challenge. (These need to be solved together) I have a deep parts bin box; cranks, front/rear derailleurs, etc. And I am competent with wrenches.

My initial thought was run a double up front, use a front derailleur adapter for the FD, add a 8 speed long cage Ultegra in the back. But, the connected issue is the setup up front; handle bars & shifters. I am not interested in STIs.
So, assuming I could make the double drive train set up mentioned above work, what options are there for handle bar/shifter set up that would work well for a hills. My thought was bullhorn with bar-end shifters? If I go with drop bars, won't in need one of those stem-extender things? If so, than the current stem I have wont work b/c you need a T shape stem?

Lastly, what bottom brackets are going to work on a (2003) Dahon P8

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.