View Single Post
Old 01-04-18, 08:09 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by knitguy
I don't have experience with shoulder injuries but I do with knee injuries. I really wouldn't go to the gym to work on upper body strength before being properly diagnosed and going to a physical therapist. The risk of further injuring your shoulder is just too high. I third the suggestion of getting a second opinion from an ortho, perhaps one specializing in sports medicine.
Originally Posted by rachel120
Do NOT go to the gym except under the supervision of an orthopedic surgeon or a physical therapist. I simply carried a 7 quart crock pot and that was enough to turn a minor AC separation that would have healed quickly into a nearly year long recovery and damaged the cartilage enough for arthritis to develop. I hurt every morning and will do so for the rest of my life.

Yeah, thanks, that's what I meant. I'm just assuming that sometime in the future, as PT progresses, it'll involve resistance training, even if very light, with machines in a gym, and that's when I'll get my gym membership.

I had actually been thinking this would be the year to get back to strength training, but that's obviously on hold now.

I'll be a very good patient. That business with my hips last year had me in PT once a week for eight weeks with home exercises every day, and I did them all, and still do, between 20 minutes and an hour every day of stretching exercises.

Stupid crock pot. Thanks for warning me.

So at this point, follow-up with primary doctor tomorrow morning to get ortho referral because my insurance plan requires all that to happen through my primary, then on to ortho ASAP.