Old 01-05-18, 05:29 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
I'd estimate that less than 1% of entrants build a drop bar bike from a tt frame if the coordinator elected to go Merckx. Mostly because it's just an absurd thing to do, but also because those that are really TT focused will have an integrated frame that takes proprietary bars (exceptions include the Felt DA, older Orbea Ordu, or older Scott Plama).
I think that may grow. I saw 3-4 at collegiate. The guy who won was using one and the others in the top 10. My kid didn't do the ITT, rather pulled the whole TTT on one. They are good for about 2 mph, or more at 30 mph.

I'm not sure I follow the "absurd thing to do" part. I swap out "my" Felt DA2 removing the FELT Bayonet stem and attach the cable to the rear brake and adjust post height. I don't have to adjust/remove the front brake at all (maybe a tech forum thing to show). It is a 15 min job and requires a new rear brake cable every 3 or so changes.

That one bike is a collegiate TT bike for kid, regular TT bike for him, weekend rider for my wife (who may decide to 50+ or 60+ TT) and I guess I could ride it.

Last edited by Doge; 01-05-18 at 05:41 PM.