Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
I have not seen many smart trainers reasonably priced. They are almost as much as my bike!
I've been zwift'ing for a couple of years now and I still use a cheap fluid resistance "dumb" trainer (Traveltrac Fluid Pro).

The program allows you to use dumb trainers, you just need a rear wheel speed/cadence sensor. If the game knows your wheel speed, it has pre-mapped power curves for a number of dumb trainer models so it can approximate your power, you just have to pick your trainer model when pairing sensors.

That said, I found the default power curve for my trainer to be wayyyy off. Like 150+ watts too high for a given effort. I ended up borrowing my friend's powertap wheel and testing different trainer presets in the game until I found one that was pretty close to my real power numbers (within 15 watts), and I've continued to use that preset ever since.

Zwift has changed trainer rides for me, big time. I don't do group rides or races in the game, but I have been swept up by them before and it is a good workout. Chasing down people, going for PRs on long segments, trying to get jerseys... it's a lot more engrossing than just watching a movie and spinning away.

I recently (finally) got a bluetooth HR monitor so I can watch my HR while in the game. I push myself way harder in Zwift than I ever did on the trainer before, and probably harder than I do outside unless I'm actually racing or on a hard training ride.