ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The guess as to why Zwift defaults to 50% difficulty is that many smart trainers aren't capable of reproducing eg. 18% gradients. What I'm wondering, is then whether it makes sense mostly to set trainer difficulty to percentage that maps the highest gradients you'll see in Watopia to what your trainer can really emulate. Eg. if your trainer can emulate only up to 12% gradient, and Zwift has 18% gradients, then setting trainer to 67% would make sense? This would ensure that at least an 18% Zwift gradient would feel different than a 12% gradient, albeit both would be easier than real life.. Setting to 100% would mean a 12% Zwift gradient would feel identical to an 18% gradient... I think(?)
With a wheel-on trainer, you can also get wheel slip if the resistance gets too high, and you can injure yourself were that to happen.

I don't have climbing gears on my bike - just a regular road cassette. In theory one can swap the cassette, but I don't think the derailleur can handle it, so I would need a different derailleur as well. It is easier to just leave the difficulty setting alone and keep riding.