KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't think I covet anyone's bikes. But maybe that's not true. I don't know. Maybe I look at some and say, "Ooh, I'd like that," but the feeling doesn't last. I realized a couple of years ago that I don't need any more bikes. Opportunities to acquire more have come, and it has not been hard to resist. I haven't acquired any more.

I saw Aaron's Specialized Diverge, and I thought I would like that. But it's currently in production, so there's nothing rare about it. Now I'm planning to rebuild my 1971 Raleigh Super Course. It's already my gravel bike, and with its new drivetrain, it will be just about as good as modern all-road bikes or whatever you call them.
I'm not fond of it actually...there's nothing about it that, on balance, I really like more than some other bikes that I have. I outright dislike Shimano's shifting, I think the more modern headset and BB feel a bit wonky...it just feels...cheap...compared to my more traditional bikes. I like it a bit more than my other bikes in real mud and rougher terrain, but it's significantly less than on more packed gravel and pavement. It also really isn't terribly agile and I don't trust it at any real speed. Overall...I'd rather ride the Cinelli or Pete Matthews a but more gingerly when it gets rougher and enjoy it more all of the other times.

I'll tell you...that Pete Matthews...now that's a bike. It's not one of the ones people look at when they check out my fleet, but I think they might if they rode it. It's what I wanted the Raleigh International to be.

The disc brakes on the diverge are nice (when they're not squealing).

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 01-10-18 at 08:28 AM.