View Single Post
Old 01-10-18, 11:05 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7366 Post(s)
Liked 2,509 Times in 1,457 Posts
We had a fair bit of snow here in NYC last week, and we haven't had the temperatures required to melt it, so it's turned to dirty snow, ice, and slush. The streets and paths are now navigable. People build and show us their amazing winter bikes here, and I realize that the Citi Bike fleet is better than anything I care to build. The bike weighs 50 pounds and provides an upright position. I don't really like riding upright, but it's good for snow traction. The tires wide. The bike has two drum brakes and fenders. The new models have continuously variable ratios in the NuVinci hub, which I love. I even appreciate the twist adjuster (which I won't call a shifter) with my thick gloves.

This morning, I took an unplanned ride on Citi Bike. I went to a meeting which mysteriously did not materialize. I grabbed a bike and started riding aimlessly before remembering to turn on my recording app, so I missed the first few blocks of my ride. GPS TRACKS

New and old buildings. Can you believe we still have cobblestone streets in Manhattan?

East River, on the east side of Manhattan. Williamsburg bridge which connects to the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn.

The Manhattan Bridge, also linking Manhattan to Brooklyn.

The famous Brooklyn Bridge, which is right next to the Manhattan Bridge.

The Manhattan Bridge again.

A police boat. I don't know why, but I think these are cool.

The WAVERTREE is permanently moored here at the South Street Seaport, a tourist destination.

A self portrait at the South Street Seaport.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.