View Single Post
Old 01-12-18, 02:15 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I think Jim from Boston was suggesting that people stop drinking before posting to BF .... which might be a really sound suggestion.
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Oh,is that what he meant? I got lost in the boxes.
On my signature line:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use nested quotes (to be read in that order) to improvise an imaginary conversation. Anything outside a quote box is my contribution to the current “conversation.”
…Last year I came upon a post that to me embodied the communication style that I like about BF. In response to a long quote, Turbo1889 wrote [not to me]:
Originally Posted by turbo1889
First of all you have no need to apologize for a lengthy post, least of all to me of all people. Part of the reason I like forums as apposed to other forms of written communal internet forms is because I consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather then the quick short snappy sound bite like format like twitter and such.
So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…” I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post.

I use ellipses,"..." to eliminate as much as possible, and still leave the context of the quote comprehensible; and I bold key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion. While even if nobody reads my posts, I do try to communicate clearly to the reader. At least I try to evenly space, and keep my paragraphs short for easier readability, FWIW.
I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a dialogue. Personally for me, as a diversion, it’ s challenging to arrange the quotes, and to find them in prior threads. I think it’s a succinct way to capture the variety of a topic.
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Also, if your replies begin to look like an essay, you might consider paring it down a little because a lot of people won't bother to read it
It takes some time to write a properly composed long post, and I take my chances that my expenditure of time might connect with another interested reader.
FWIW...Say no more.