Old 01-12-18, 03:57 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I think that what works best for me when doing FTP / vo2 building is to target realistic numbers for realistic amounts of time during a workout, and then make sure i'm recovered before doing the workout again. Historical data helps, but it usually that means I screw up the first couple of workouts in the block because I sorta need to calibrate to figure out what I can do with consistency. It also winds up being lower volume, with a much higher percentage of it being in zone. Like 2.5-3hrs out of 10-12hrs/wk was ftp+. Smash ****, recover, smash more **** repeat ad nauseum. Bought me a lot of watts this fall. I didn't look at it as getting x% of riding time in zone because then I'd make silly decisions based on ignoring how my legs feel to hit an arbitrary percentage number. I aimed for 3 solid workouts a week, would generally crack during one of them, and when I did crack I'd spin home and eat ice cream.

edit: also I do this crap in the fall because it can turn you into a one trick pony. But the higher ftp means you can do more work during base, which leads to more success if you do base right, etc...

Last edited by TheKillerPenguin; 01-12-18 at 04:01 PM.