Old 01-16-18, 08:51 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Well, cyclists, like any group, are not homogeneous, and different riders have different goals. While I appreciate infrastructure like bike paths and use it for family rides, as someone who likes to train and ride competitively, our kind is not welcome on bike paths, for obvious reasons. So when infrastructure is created, it kind of creates the expectation of segregation among motorists. One time I was riding on one my usual loops that goes through Lexington, MA, where the popular Minuteman path is. However I was on the main road, and going in a different direction from that path, and I heard someone yell to get on the bike path and I looked over and the driver was flipping me off. But if I were to get on the bike path on a busy summer weekend, I couldn't ride at my own pace. I also tend to believe that segregated barrier lanes just gives motorists a reason to not have to pay attention to cyclists, when really the solution to all of our troubles is having folks pay attention and be patient and observe speed limits.
As far as "our kind" (people who ride bikes)

On the Minuteman:
  • There are some hours on some days where "our kind" can ride fast indeed, and the largest hazards you'll probably face are squirrels and bunnies.
  • There are some hours on some days where "our kind" can ride fast indeed for long stretches, but interspersed with slowing for traffic occasionally.
  • There are some hours on some days where "our kind" will spend long stretches slowed by traffic, with occasional fast stretches.

On Mass Ave:
  • There are some hours on some days where "our kind" can ride fast indeed, and the largest hazards you'll probably face are squirrels and bunnies.
  • There are some hours on some days where "our kind" can ride fast indeed for long stretches, but interspersed with slowing for traffic occasionally.
  • There are some hours on some days where "our kind" will spend long stretches slowed by traffic, with occasional fast stretches.

On different sections of Mass Ave less than once a year I've been flipped off and yelled at to "get off my road" and ride:
  • On the sidewalk
  • In the bikelane
  • On a bikepath

What do these things have in common? (Hint, they each are attached to a middle finger.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-16-18 at 09:03 AM.