WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
According the commercial for Gatorade it was designed with the foozball players in mind, out in the Florida sun and heat. They found that drinking the flavored salt water helped them practice stronger, longer. I don't know about "peer" review but apparently there was some manner of science to it.

I have heard people mention putting salts of various type in their water bottle, in small amounts. Personally I get ill when I drink things of this type. My tummy no likey.

there's been a lot of studies. Not sure about a definitive advantage over water, except I think that Gatorade works because it tastes better than water and you drink more of it.

My grad student buddy Rock used to have summer jobs hanging up tobacco in hot humid barns South Carolina. So you're lifting really heavy, wet tobacco plants in 95 degree heat (110 in the barn) and 95% humidity, for hours at a time. The farmer was a savvy guy. At the end of each interval (that is, just before lunch and just before knocking off for the day), he'd roll out ice-filled coolers filled with watermelons. Rock said that was about the best thing he's ever had.