Old 01-17-18, 07:33 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by josh23
The wheels certainly need replacing. And the chain line is terrible - the wheel is dished in exactly the opposite direction to how it should be.

Realistically however, buying a new set of wheels and tyres isn't far off the price of a whole new bike.

On the subject of tyres, are there any that are especially good for heavier riders? I'm not massive, but I'm no 65kg racing machine either. I find that, no matter how much pressure I put in the tyres, they still seem to deform as soon as I sit in the bike. But, they are cheap and nasty so...

It's difficult to imagine the wheel dish being off that far. Is the rim centered in the frame? Anyway, that could be corrected.

For tires I assume your bike still has the original 27 inch wheels. So stick with 27 x 1 1/4 tires, which are wider.

These would work well:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...d-tire-27-inch

It helps in these bike rejuvenation situations if you can do the work yourself to keep the costs down. Or get a knowledgeable friend to help you.