Old 01-18-18, 05:58 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by TallTourist
[...] the OP is getting at is why is it that some cyclists, after many years of experience, haven't become lean.
Hmmm... I recall reading that for some people, exercise is an excuse to indulge. I also recall reading tomes about the difficulty of losing weight (we'd have some kind of "thermostat" that'll bring us back to where we were, whatever we do, other than perpetually starving ourselves; or that once fatty cells have been created, the situation becomes hopeless, justifying worries wrt child obesity) And so on.

I've encountered a few "chronic tourers". They were fit and skinny. I suppose that the occasional tourist spending a few weeks every year or so may carry extra weight, especially if he/she celebrates every day on the road with plenty of ice cream -- or beer.

For the record -- we've done two summer long tours. I'd say I've lost 3-4kgs. My BMI is "normal". We don't ride to lose weight. And I don't feel like we're eating much more than when we are sedentary. I guess that there are plenty of calories in a kilo of fat