Old 01-20-18, 01:16 PM
IrishBrewer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
@Road Fan, in the few modern freewheels I can service, internally there is basically no difference mechanically from 1980s Shimano, Sachs, Suntour Winner Pro, and Regina freewheels.

Now with that said, I need to admit failure in opening up any Sunrace or IRD freewheels. The retaining ring/outer bearing race will either not budge or the smallest sprocket cannot be removed, thus blocking access to the retaining ring. In some cases a special tool is needed, and I've not been able to locate a source for the tool and have not invested in the cost to have one made.
Having commented earlier about having had success with the flush and fill method on a Suntour Perfect, this thread inspired me to go ahead ad do a full overhaul on it. I had to make a 2 pronged removal tool out of an old socket since I didn't have one. Everything looked good inside, no grit but some dirty grease remained. Cleaned it all up with acetone and a toothbrush and reasembled with some waterproof grease. It should be better than NOS now with the fresh grease. It was actually an enjoyable task. Here it is back in place.

Bianchi rear mech.jpg