Old 01-20-18, 05:29 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
And rightfully so imho, the lowly freewheel is the energizer bunny of bike parts. I have never failed to revive one with some sort of flush and fill method. Current flushing agent of choice is Marvel Mystery oil. Had a Suntour a while back that hat almost did not move, soaked in MM for a couple of days, got it going, flushed out and relube with 50w and it is one of the sweetest sounding and running now has about 1k mi. As I posted earlier, freewheels are easily one of if not the toughest components we have.

PS, not advocating my method, just taking the easy way out as I have a pile of these and have never had to scrap one, hence the pile.

Originally Posted by jonwvara
This is the Energizer Bunny of freewheel threads. It's going to be up there with "For Love of English Three Speeds" someday.