Old 01-21-18, 11:57 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Weird problem - chain tightens and loosens while spinning

I don't have the deep knowledge that a lot of you have with single speed bikes even though I worked in shops for years...never worked on many. I got a weird problem that has me scratching my head.

Bike is a Wabi Classic with the rear wheel drop-out protector washers. When I tighten both axle bolts no matter what adjustments I make when fully tightened the chain will tighten (a lot) and loosen while I am spinning the crank.

I have taken the washers off and it still does it but not quite as much. I have noticed this in the past but it was much less pronounced than it is now. When I start to snug up the sprocket side of the wheel the wheel starts to pull to the drive-train side more than it used to.

I have around 2,000 or fewer miles on the drive-train so I don't think I'm facing worn parts. Starting to think that maybe the axle is bent. The wheel is in true and does not wobble at all when I crank the drive-train.

Got me stumped. Any ideas as to what may be causing this?