View Single Post
Old 01-22-18, 10:32 AM
Silverexpress

Bikes: Commuter(s), MTB(s), bent(s), folder(s) and a road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robert schlatte
https://goo.gl/qhVBYZ
Here is a link to several options of a proposed route from Monroe through Detroit. Thanks to all who have posted. Generally what I am hearing is Jefferson Avenue south of downtown is okay. Section north of River Rouge is burned out industrial- but not bad if ridden in the am. North of downtown is much better especially keeping to the east. I also see I could ride west of downtown area on generally dedicated bike path. This latter would seem to be the safer option but maybe not as interesting??? I like the idea of riding along the river and shoreline and seeing the areas of historic Detroit but I don't want to be stupid. Columbus has some bad areas which I don't fear riding through during daylight hours but I am sure there is nothing in Columbus that compares to sections of Detroit.
I tried modding your path, but google maps just won't behave...anyhow.... You've got to include a ride up Cass Ave. (Has protected bike lanes) to Warren, and then take Woodward Ave and head back down to the riverfront. You just need to watch out for the Q-Line rails - this is Detroit's new trolley system. The rails are about a foot from the curb at some sections so riding into it would not be good. You may need to walk the bike at these sections. This will at least allow you to see all the new things this City has going for it now. This, as far as crime goes, is a very safe addition to your route.

You also need to include Belle Isle. It is now run by the DNR (State of MI), and is very well managed and safe. Do the entire perimeter if you have the energy. We use to have a 200-mile cycling marathon there - The Wolverine 200. It was the only time they permitted camping overnight. Don't know if it is still going on.

There is a great Vietnamese noodle restaurant on Fort St. It's called Johnny Noodle King. A great place to carb load. Lol. And if you're into Vegan food, there is Detroit Vegan Soul which is located just North of Jefferson in the West Village. It's a very safe neighborhood and a good place to eat.

The downtown area is relatively safe with millions (if not billions of dollars being poured into it), its the outlying neighborhoods that you need to watch out for. The neighborhoods around the downtown airport, the Conner Industrial area, the 7 mi road corridor...etc...are places to avoid.

Also there is not much to see on Grosse Ille except houses. It's literally just a subdivision on what was probably a beautiful island at one time before the developers got a hand on it. See Belle Isle instead! Although it might just be a welcome relief from Jefferson Ave.

Last edited by Silverexpress; 01-22-18 at 12:32 PM.