View Single Post
Old 01-25-18, 12:30 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerundium
protocol used is start the first block at 1.6 w/kg and add 0.4 w/kg every 6 minutes. This is a very slow protocol so quite good to dermine your base pace, tempo and threshold zones but you will probably not reach high max values on it. I found it a lot less mentally draining because it's basically a long tempo session with a short supra treshold effort at the end. And it has been very useful for guiding my training in the base period focussing on tempo and endurance rides mostly.

EDIT: oh and the results have intermediate values as well. basically they take the fraction of the time you held the latest block and interpolate between two. so if you fail 4 minutes into the 5.6 w/kg block your result would be 5.2 + (4/6)*0.4 = 5.466
0.4 w/kg is a pretty big gap, esp for 'average' size riders.

interpolation is pretty common, but if you've got large steps it's not so great for level-setting.

a long ramp is quite useful, but the steps should also be pretty tight. sounds like this is supposed to be an MLSS test of sorts, but without the lactate testing (which is very useful).

i like ramp tests (taking them and administering them). 3' steps and 20w increments is something of a standard, to the degree that there is one.