Old 01-27-18, 11:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7723 Post(s)
Liked 3,655 Times in 1,925 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Aparrently you did not go to the link in the OP... the law is cited in the video.
I saw the law about passing and turning ... but the ambiguity here (which is why the driver was not charged under that law) is when the pass took place and how the overtaken vehicle behaved afterwards.

As I have said above, the lane was clear and the pass should have been safe, but the cyclist apparently did not see (or did not look for) turn signals on the truck, and in effect raced into the danger zone of her own accord.

The law as written seems to be intended to make it illegal to swerve around a car on the left and cut it off to make a right. That is not what happened here. The truck did not swerve around the cyclist at the last moment and cut across her path. The cyclist in fact overtook the truck at the intersection, not seeing the turn signals.

I am sure we have all had cars pull into the opposing lane and cut us off to make a turn or beat us to a stop sigh while we were cycling. And I bet none of us like that.

On the other hand, if I raced a car to make a light, going full-speed down the bike lane while ignoring the car .... then if that car signaled a turn but I was so focused on making the light I didn't notice ... obviously my fault.

I am not saying (and I have not said) the driver did everything as well as could be done. I am saying the cyclist put herself at risk and it did Not pay off.

As for this being posted on a truckers' website---why wouldn't it be? What truck driver wouldn't want to learn of something to avoid and be wary of? That doesn't mean the truck driver was at fault. or guilty of negligent homicide. it could be a warning that some cyclists don't pay attention, so the truck driver needs to take extra care.

if people want to see the bad side of life, they can find it. if people want to learn form bad things they can do that. Not for me to decide how others should live.