View Single Post
Old 01-29-18, 01:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,543 Times in 3,375 Posts
Originally Posted by Philly Tandem
Looking at the photos of Ortlieb panniers, one thing that never made sense to me is why they put black fabric at the front/back of the panniers, right where I'd want the brightest fabric possible. I have two full front/rear sets of Ortliebs: one yellow and one red. The bright colors are great from the side, but don't do much for visibility from the back, where most hits seem to occur. Even their "high visibility" panniers have black panels in the rear (although they are reflective, so not as bad).

We run a big yellow Ortlieb duffle sideways on the top of the rear rack, which I think helps visibility a lot as it's more at eye level for drivers. Coupled with a bright blinking light (Dinotte in our case) it makes up pretty visible on the road.
I've noticed that. Even their "High Vis" bags are black on back. Now, they may help with side visibility which should help in urban traffic.

Vaude also makes similar bags, and also mostly black on back.

The one exception is that both have an orangeish bag that has a darker red on the back.

They all have a small reflective patch on them, but even that could be larger. My old Burley trailer has a wide white reflective tape across the bottom and seems to be quite visible in the dark with lights.