View Single Post
Old 01-31-18, 01:23 PM
klucabike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CDanser
I am also 63 and just purchased my first adult trike. I am finding a bit scary. Is there something I should know about learning to ride it safely? It is a SUN 24” trike without speeds and only the front brake. It seems to have a mind of its own. Any advice?
I am 66 and have had a 24-inch Sun trike for three years. I love the trike itself, but it has the 5-speed Sturmey-Archer hub, with coaster brake, and I hate the gearing. The bike shop that sold it to me has never been able to make all 5 gears work correctly (even after a free replacement by Sturmey-Archer) so I am only using gears 2, 3 and 4. Anyway, I would encourage you to get a coaster brake on your trike, as well as the front-wheel hand brake. A single wheel hand brake is NOT going to stop your trike if you need to do so suddenly. Even then, avoid the Sturmey-Archer. (They have now come out with a 7-speed hub, but I simply don't trust them at all anymore.) Twice I have had the small chain come off the hub for the coaster brake, and not only did I lose gearing, but my coaster brake. It could have been extremely dangerous had I been going down a moderate hill.

I am looking at replacing the Sturmey-Archer with a 3-speed Shimano, with coaster brake. Does anyone have any recommendations about the safety of this hub and coaster brake?