View Single Post
Old 02-02-18, 11:15 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblehand
I'm not sure what the value of a 6 versus 3 speed is in the used market. I get the sense that most folks get the 2 or 3 speed versions. So you're estimate is reasonable.
Brompton reduces bike prices in the US
by BRAIN Staff
Published November 7, 2016
NEW YORK CITY (BRAIN) — Brompton Bicycle has announced immediate retail price reductions for its folding bikes and related accessories, citing efficiency improvements at the brand's new factory and the strength of the U.S. dollar.

The base price for Brompton's 2017 model year bikea has been reduced from $1,250 to $1,199. Brompton's most popular configuration the M6L, a 6-speed bike with fenders, with two colors of paint, now has an MSRP of $1,499, down from an MSRP of $1,691 earlier in 2016. The company also eliminated its $98 custom color surcharge earlier this year.
Source: Brompton reduces bike prices in the US | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

So the 6-speed is everything but uncommon. Regarding the prices of used Bromptons: They are overpriced when compared to new ones, especially the older models. The main reasons are for one that for an innocent mind a Brompton looks pretty much the same, no matter how old it is and most people do not know about the continuous stream of enhancements that the Brompton has achieved over the years. Second is that there is more demand for used Bromptons than there are offers - it seems that buying a Brompton is something people have thought about properly before actual buying and therefore most tend to keep it once they have one.

Also traditionally Brompton's prices increase each year, fostering a pretty stable price for used bikes.

From experience with the German market (which has traditionally been pretty strong for Brompton) I would assume that this will change: Over the last couple of years Bromptons became increasingly popular over here, leaving the niche of nerdness they used to live in. A side-effect was that with more Bromptons on the streets they became even more popular as more people see them. Some of those people sell them again used relativeliy quickly, so the used market grew, especially with relatively new bikes. And this, after a certain point, leads to lower prices for used bikes. They are still not cheap and still old bikes are massively overpriced, but with relatively recent ones there are chances to grab a good to fair deal now.

Possible that the same happens in the US now, especially with the lowering of the prices for new Bromptons. I may possibly take a while until sellers have realized the new prices.