View Single Post
Old 02-07-18, 10:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,474 Times in 1,835 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Why so negative?
Not to be a richard, but the fact that you see this as a negative post shows Your bias, not mine.

Originally Posted by cooker
They discovered they could live car free in Detroit if they wanted to, and they decided they would go car-light(er) instead, with one car instead of 2.
Apparentkly you did nto read either the article or my post.

They Never went "car-free."

My whole post was about the fact that they went multi-modal, and a good step towards car-light and car-free is to build up the non-car-OWNING (not "Car-Free") Alternatives.

This couple discovered, as most people do, that cars serve some very useful purposes, and that to make "car-light" feasible, alternatives like buses, trains, rental cars which are readily available----make it a Lot easier to not own a car (or cut down from two to one.)

You claim to see no preaching, but when I do Not preach "car-Free" but instead point out how the real world shows that certain small changes can make "Car-light" easier, you call me negative ... I guess you only like posts which preach.

Fact is, you yourself see "Car-free" as "Good," and "Car-light" as "Nearly as Good," and those personal moral judgments color how you see every post---and are why you don't see people "preaching"---you just think they are making sense, because they agree with you ... and you, of course, are "right."

I see car---free and car-light in terms of practicality---how do we do it, can we do it, what can we do differently (in the realm of common sense and readily achievable steps, not science-fiction) which can make it easier for people to make that choice.

While I prefer a car-light life, I don't consider it "better" in any moral sense, in the same way I don't think auto-racing is "better" than baseball, but I like auto-racing better.

i recognize the social and environmental costs associated with our car addiction, but so what? Saying "drugs are bad" doesn't help a heroin addict. Treatment programs, psychological counseling, a steady job, a structured life so s/he doesn't have time to easily slip back into the life ... that makes a difference.

I point out FACTS Mentioned By The Person Who Actually Went Car-Light ... I guess in your world, those are "inconvenient truths" and noticing them makes me negative. I guess the author is negative too.

You know, when a LOT of people see something you cannot see ... one has to wonder how hard you are really looking.