Old 02-09-18, 11:04 AM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
The problem with soapy water and other tricks is that I'm mostly concerned about changing flats on the roadside. For the past month I've been riding my carbon Reynolds with tubulars....my race day wheels that I don't really want to ride in the winter, but at least those rarely flat (have Stans in them) and if they do, I have a bottle of puncture filling spray with me. The RS81s, by contrast, will leave me stranded if I can't get the tire back on.

Googling round, I did find many accounts of people having the same issue I'm experiencing with various tubeless-ready wheels. Here's a helpful reply from 2012 concerning WH-6700 tubless wheels:

Problem changing tires on WH-6700 Tubeless Wheelset

After wrestling with the 6700 / tricomp's I called my LBS for tips and they told me to come on down.
After hearing my complaint I watched the bike mechanic literally install the tube / tire on the 6700, without levers, in less than 60 seconds!
He told me two very important things;
1) put 15 pounds or so in the tube and make sure that the tube is placed in the grove of the rim and NOT in the tire. Otherwise given the tighter tolerances of the tubeless wheel you end up trying to roll the tire over the tube and rim instead of just the rim.
2) as always start installing the tire from the valve but when it starts to get difficult at the other end go back to the valve area and make sure the tire is still in the middle grove of the rim by working your way back to the problem area. it will probably take 3-5 times to make sure there's enough slack to slip the remaining part of the tire but it will happen.
After watching the mechanic and practicing for 10-15 minutes I was able to finally roll the tire over without levers. I then did it again at home just for fun as was able to change the tire in less than 10 minutes. I'm never going to be as quick as the pros but it's nice not living in fear of getting a flat on the road!