View Single Post
Old 02-09-18, 04:16 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by some bloke
Hi everyone, I'd like to show you a 1958 Triumph I got recently. I got it off a farmer friend who had it stashed in a shed on his property - he couldn't remember when he acquired it.

Here it is after a clean up:

I have fitted new grips, a new reflector and a new shift cable here. I put on a new back tire as well. It's fitted with a 3 speed AG hub, dated 8/58. All the gears work, and there's the remnants of a card attached to the light which tells you what bulbs it uses. The lights still work.

Not a lot of wear on the cog:

Anybody know how long it takes the rubber grips to go like this?

Inside the rear mudguard is very clean and well preserved. Note the Triumph script on the cog:

I had to put a modern style shifter cable on because when I changed the rear tyre, I had to undo the original cable end. It untwisted the cable and it was weakened a lot. In hindsight (which is always 20/20,) I should have put a couple of drops of oil down the cable end so it let go of the cable and didn't untwist it. I will know for next time.

A little bit of rust:

It's missing a couple of bits - a pedal end cap, and an original style reflector, but it's incredibly complete and original for it's age. I have ridden it a few times but I suspect you'd end up with thighs like tugboats if you rode it every day. Plans are to find the missing parts and clock up a few miles on it.

Wow! A wonderful bicycle for sure. I have spent years looking for a vintage Triumph to keep my TR7 company in the garage. Great find. Let me know if you want to sell it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0191.jpg (760.8 KB, 189 views)