Old 02-10-18, 11:34 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Happily, it's a bit different in my area!

I live in a "city" (I hesitate to call it that) of about 50,000, with an adjacent community to the north with another ~20,000, surrounded by smaller communities and rural areas for maybe another ~25,000.

The largest growth areas I've observed are among women (road and mountain biking), family cycling, and winter cycling (especially fatbiking). There are a ton of shop rides, group rides, and events/races for all different skill levels and disciplines - including road, MTB, gravel, and fatbiking. There's also a huge social ride (bar hop) that attracts insane numbers of people, like over a thousand. I haven't seen a ton of growth in commuting, but that's unsurprising for an area that isn't really urban.

I think all the local bike shops - I believe there are four, but I might be missing some - have done a good job promoting cycling and catering to different interests. It may be helpful that there are not many alternatives for purchasing bicycles locally - no Performance Bike, REI, etc. - so anyone who doesn't want an X-mart bike is getting one that fits properly and includes free tuneups.

My town and the adjacent community have also been doing a ton to improve cycling infrastructure. There are strong local and state advocacy groups, which have been working to improve trail access for cyclists and educate cyclists and drivers.