Old 02-12-18, 07:54 AM
Stick69

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
We've had a large increase in cyclists due to Brown v. Plata, Proposition 47 and subsequent developments. Bicycles and poverty go together, for good or ill.
Just to expand a bit. Cycling in the area is multifaceted. There certainly has been an uptick in the number of indigent riders. I don't see it as much now since I don't commute on my bike downtown and we tend to stay upstream of Cal Expo on the tandem. My bus goes down 12th and I sometimes wonder when a wobbly loaded bike is going to wander in front of the bus.

Lots of bike traffic on the grid and a variety of town, road, and single speed bikes. With rent going up all those young folks may be more motivated than ever to save on gas. I have seen an increase in bikes on H Street when I am waiting for my bus.

Bike shops seem to be holding their own. I use four shops for different needs.

I don't know about clubs. We did one ride with the Davis bike club because we were not familiar with Yolo County. We might try a few rides with our closest bike shop or the bike shop in Woodland after we get in a little better shape. I'm not going to be drafting anytime soon on the tandem so a group is not a huge advantage other than for guidance in a new area or companionship and I carry my own companion (or maybe she carries me).