Old 02-12-18, 06:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 2,853 Times in 1,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
Chris Urmson, the former head of Waymo, now CEO of Aurora, is concise about this:

"We believe the actual driving intelligence has to reside on the vehicle. At the end of the day, you can't afford to be in a communication dead spot."

That's why it's dumb.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/17/...omy-interview/

You know, It would really help if you read and comprehended what is posted. No where did it suggest that driving intelligence was not at vehicle level. The company in the link was proposing having remote drivers available for those situations where onboard driving intelligence is not able to resolve a situation, and having the remote driver take control, resolve the situation and then give control back

a simple example of one that I see almost every day is a low speed 4 way stop, where "nice drivers" wave other drivers who have the right of way through. I have not found any reference to AV recognizing a "nice driver wave" as a valid bit of decision information

and for about 6 blocks leading to that 4 way stop the street is so narrow that if cars are parked on either side it is a one way street and drivers have to defer and take turns. I would truly like to see Waymo try their technology in this area.