View Single Post
Old 02-12-18, 09:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Sorry, I just re-read, and I misunderstood what you were measuring at each part, even if I got the overall idea.

BUT, it still suffers what CNY and I pointed out - that you are trying to get accurate hypotenuses from very acute triangles measured with crude tools. With angles of just a few degrees, the amount of error even a slight inaccuracy in length measuring or angle measuring produces is giant. Too much to get a useful rake out of.
I guess that you still haven't figured out that I never bothered with the angle. Just two very simple linear measurements, so simple that anyone who can't do them has no business worrying about fork rake.

Can you measure 15-20mm along a length of string?
Can you measure from a string to a tube?
can you do some simple, very basic arithmetic?

If you answered yes, you can measure fork rake. If you answered no to any of those, there's no reason to bother.

BTW - I invite anybody reading this who has a fork, axle (or chopstick,or knitting needle), string, a ruler and/or tape measure, to give it a try and report back. My money's on you.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.