View Single Post
Old 02-14-18, 01:26 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 49 Posts
I have forty years of touring and pretty much tried most configurations except a back pack.

Where I put the tent depends on the tour and how much gear I am bringing. With more gear, typically when cooking and in cool weather, I put it in an Ortlieb rack pack (medium) like you are thinking about. I will then use Sport Roller Plus bags for rear bags and Sport Packer Plus bags for the front. I usually have a little "inside the pack" space to spare.

If it will be warm so I don't need to bring cool weather clothes, I typically put the tent (and other stuff like tool kit, rain gear,etc.) in a Ortlieb back roller plus pannier and use a Arkel rack pack. Not much inside space left afterwards.

In both cases, I always put the sleeping bag in one of the front Ortlieb Sport Packer Plus bags along with the inflatable sleeping pad. To me, it is much more important to keep the sleeping bag dry than the tent. I can always use a towel to dry off the inside of a tent if needed. I also use a medium or small handlebar bag for the valuables.

Last edited by John N; 02-14-18 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Typos