View Single Post
Old 02-14-18, 02:14 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by craigeckhoff
I rechecked some stats 40 to 69% was the latest I found 1 to 10 miles. Auto only. The stats I used was supplied by a pro bike site I use to belong to. It is quite possible I was misinformed by this site. Still my question is could one live car free ( that is not owning a car ) why or why not?
People I talk with can't imagine living the way I do, but not because they can't but because they don't want to. E.g. they don't want to bike to work in heat or in rain. They don't want to limit their travel relative to driving and spend more time going 5-10 miles to a destination. In my view, they have been spoiled by automotive access to everything, and it's not completely their fault because they have been led to see such access and the activities/travel it provides as normal, i.e. not a privilege and a form of being spoiled. Obviously no one likes to feel they are spoiled, so people put a lot of effort into rationalizing driving and automotive culture as more necessity than luxury/privilege. Other people get upset at the whole idea that there's anything wrong with luxury/privilege to begin with and it's rude to even refer to it as being 'spoiled' in the first place.