Old 01-08-06, 11:24 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by d2create
2manybikes, thanks for the help. I found the box in my garage but no screw.
The instructions on the box and the pdf instructions at cateye.com don't make any mention of mounting other than using the seatclamp.
I pulled a screw out of a reflector i had but it seems to thick for either hole on the back of the light. Btw, which hole do I use? I was assuming the one that protrudes out because it actually fits through the hole in the rack and sits flush. I guess I will make a trip to the hardware store and try to find a screw that fits. Do you know long should the treaded part of the screw be?
Most reflector brackets and many racks have two holes in them. You put the round tube that sticks out into one hole just to hold it still, and the screw goes into the other slightly larger hole. The screw should not fit in too easy, because it makes a tight fit in the plastic as you tighten it down. If you have a screw from a reflector it is probably the right one. But it's hard for me to be sure with holding it myself. Can you take it to a bike shop to get the right screw?

I just looked at a couple of reflector screws that I took out of reflectors. They would go in the larger of the two holes on the Cateye, I just noticed if you look very carefully in good light you can see screw threads on the inside of the larger hole and not the small one. With the "Cateye" label on the top that would be the bottom hole. The one that does not stick out. Some people get a feel for how hard to tighten that screw by doing over and over again. Be very careful to not get it too tight.

To judge the length of the screw you have, put the screw in the rack hole from the back and hold it. Look at how much is sticking out, then look at the hole in the light and see if you can tell by looking if the screw is too long or too short.