View Single Post
Old 02-15-18, 04:25 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
@Doug64 , @Tourist in MSN, @djb, thanks for your thoughts.

Looks like a rack pack should be secured sideways on top of panniers. I'll have to "run a simulation", but for now it looks like we'll have to ride with rear panniers anyways because of the added volume of thermal layers and, above all, the shocking volume of the quilt we've purchased.

May start a new thread to pick your brains. OTOH, it is not as if we're crossing Antartica

Thanks again
I thought you were doing Bryce in Mar or Apr. That should not require that much extra volume for cold weather gear. Or is there another trip in the works?

Big quilt or anything that is compressible, a compression sack should work well.

I have two that are waterproof, but I have not really tested them for waterproofness, I am just relying on the rating. If you want waterproof, do a google search for event compression sack.