carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
Fair point.

For me, top speed is essentially about being strong enough to crank the pedals over at that speed. It's not just about being able to squat 300kg for 10 reps, otherwise every strongman/powerlifter/bodybuilder could just step onto a bike and rip out some great times/speeds. So I'm a strong believer in on the bike strength work. Big gear roling accels and accelerations on a gear 0-10" lower than race gear were a big part of what could have been a great year for me. Crap happened and season 2017/18 went out the window for me but I will be rinsing and repeating the program for next season. Also trainer work, strength stuff and Upupup drills. Consider, if you are chasing speed, it is worth spending solid time on that aspect. Moving to spinning and endurance phases aren't going to help you all that much if the speed isn't there to tune and endure. That could mean that you may have to sacrifice some of your season and goals and train through, but the end result will be worth it. Perhaps you can plan to step up in stages and phase things so you work towards a goal event this season but the end goal is further into the future.

Secondarily, but maybe just as important is aero. Working on your bike position is something you can do right now. Work on being smooth and low. When you're hitting 60+kph the aero factor is large, and positive changes could yield potentially big gains
I think this inadvertently, yet eloquently, explains why coaches, clubs, training partners, or teammates with experience are useful.

The hardest thing for a newbie to do is figure out what is worth doing while avoiding what is not worth doing. It can be very stressful. I see it when people are learning how to program computers or learning a new programming language. There is so much information available and so much advice that it's simply not possible to heed it all.

My advice to new programmers is to find a single, well-throughout program and follow it and finish it. Then evaluate the good and bad about it and look elsewhere to fill in the gaps.

This is one huge benefit I gained by spending one season each under three different coaches that used significantly different programs. I didn't set out to do it that way, but looking back, it was very helpful in educating me such that I could then coach myself by mixing and matching pieces that worked from each. I gained a breadth and depth from them that I may not have by sticking with one of them for 3 seasons.

Now I have confidence in making really big changes in my program. But, if I hadn't followed those 3 programs, I'd doubt every single choice I make the entire season. And we all know that there is no room for doubt in sport.

Last edited by carleton; 02-18-18 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typos