View Single Post
Old 02-19-18, 11:40 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I have the original Priority Classic 1.0. and agree with most of what others have said regarding it being a fine choice for a sub 3-mile commute. There are some things lacking in the Classic line that you might want to consider. Since I haven't ridden a Gotham edition, I don't know how much my experience translates or if they've improved upon any of my points.
  • The Classics are very upright rides, so expect not to go fast ever, even downhill, due to the small range of the 3-speed. Uphills aren't very fun either, but again at under 3 miles you'll probably be fine.
  • Although your weight will be mostly on the seat, I'm not a fan of the Classic 1.0's handlebar grips and would've upgraded them had I not acquired a Continuum Onyx (which I also didn't like and upgraded to Ergon grips). Oh it looks like the Gotham comes with the same grips as the Continuum, which are easy to replace, so no big deal.
  • I would recommend the Priority rear rack just to avoid potential annoyances getting the right hardware for a third-party rack. Pairing it with their new 174Hudson pannier/pack looks to be an intriguing option.
  • At least as of a couple months ago, they did not have instructions on how to take off the rear wheel on their site, but they'll send you a video if you email them (they are very responsive and helpful over email). It's not rocket science, but I decided it was too much of a hassle even though I'm not a huge fan of the ride on the puncture-resistant Kendas that mine came with.
  • I did do a gravel ride on the Classic before I got more bikes, and it handled fine, so there's that.
  • I haven't ridden much on it in the rain though, so I wouldn't confidently say that the brakes will be fine compared to something equipped with disc brakes.
  • My Classic 1.0 in blue with fenders and rack got many compliments, especially from the ladies. Although one said it reminded her of the bike she rode in high school. BTW, I am a guy and have no issue with that, aesthetics are definitely important.
  • If you're set on a Priority, I recommend joining their mailing list because they have deals almost weekly with discount codes.
If you're willing to go up to $800 and are clearly comfortable with buying online, I would suggest also checking out Diamondback and Raleigh. Using a corporate discount code (do a search for them) you can get a very well equipped ride with disc brakes, newer tech (i.e., no quill stem), with rack and/or fender mounts and decent (>= 32c) tire clearance, all typically several pounds lighter than a Classic, well below $800. You won't get the belt-drive though, which while a big plus, is not absolutely required for commuting in inclement weather. For instance, the Raleigh Clubman Alloy is currently $660 and IMO even better looking than my Classic, though a drop bar, which I don't know if you want. The Raleigh Redux 3 (only left in small) is $570 and has hydraulic(!) disc brakes, which may be overkill for a short commute but are very nice to have in case you need to stop in any condition. Diamondback also has a bunch of decent options ranging from $350 (Clarity/Insight 2) to $720 (Haanjo/Haanjenn).

Last edited by surak; 02-19-18 at 11:22 PM.