Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Yeah, I remember your issues. We exchanged quite a few messages about it.

I think this past week of work took its toll on me. I spent three days standing at a conference, and my back wasn't enjoying it. But I fully threw it out while doing squats at the gym. I've been hitting the weights a lot more this past year as I am spending more time on the track. Sunday is my standard gym day. I was doing my warm up set of five, when I felt something pop. I tried to go stretch it out, but it didn't feel good, so I just went home.

Now I am just incredibly uncomfortable, and I am not walking well. I also look very funky - my shoulders are about two inches shifted from my hips. I also cannot really stand up straight. I only came into the office because I have a better chair at work than I do at home.
I injured my back in 1981 - not a typo. I had problems for years. My is much better, it only took 40 years, and the key for me to getting better was improving glute strength and neurology. Before I do any max efforts in the gym or on the bike, I make sure that my back and glutes are activated and actively stretched - not yoga.

Also, sprint coaches prescribe heavy lifting and the more weight the better. It is true that more weight and more rapid motion such as a power clean build explosive power. The problem is that more weight and explosive moves cause injury more frequently and soft tissue takes forever to heal.

I do band walking and bridges for glute activation and focus on my posture. I try to visual my glutes firing first versus my back. I like to do a set of no weight bridges where I put my shoulders on a large ball with a band around my knees before starting a leg workout.

Here is a video showing the bridge from the floor and then from a bench. I use a ball versus a bench. Also, one can add weight when bridging. Note that she does not move her back as she bridges. The problem I had in physical therapy was that my brain wanted to roll my spine first before lifting my ass off the floor. It took weeks to be able to engage the glutes without rolling the spine.

Glute activation. Here is a video about glute activation before a leg workout. Just search youtube for glute activation and band walking to find lots of examples. It is interesting that it is mostly women doing these but IMO, bike racers and especially trackies and sprinters need this to protect our backs before big efforts. As always, finding the right routine is up to the athlete. YMMV