Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
What happened to them? Who were they?

I think it remains a challenging geographical issue. With the exception of the greatest of the great American kids, prospects are moving across the globe for meager pay. I suspect if there were more opportunities at the same pay, but living/training/racing in the US, you'd see more kids getting into and sticking with the sport. The lack of visibility limits the number of kids taking up bike racing which in turns leads to a more shallow talent pool moreso than USAC making kids spin high cadence. Even if there is a brief glimmer of hope with these 2015 kids I can't imagine too many took on contracts because of the items above.
I wish this was a closed site (not Internet searchable). Lookup Nations Cup in Procycling stats or other. There are a series of UCI races. Nothing sinister, just that for the reason you mention, even when USA has a batch more talented than the EU, they don't generally move. I think your assessment is correct. Our most talented junior will most likely make a living at cycling, the rest - it is a hobby/rec, not because of ability. Teens leaving home at 18 to live in that world is a big ask.