View Single Post
Old 02-23-18, 11:46 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
This doesn’t add much to answering your question, but I do want to say kudos to you for learning to ride a recumbent BEFORE test riding.

I’d never even sat on a recumbent prior to my “test ride” (more of a slow test wobble). Given that I could barely pedal up the block it was hard to tell the difference between any of the ones I rode. I chose based on budget, components and aesthetics.

If I were to test ride now that I’ve got a few hundred miles under my belt, it would be a very different situation.

My only other thought is that sometimes beginners get a “beginner” recumbent, then shortly outgrow it and want something that might be a little more advanced, different angles, etc. Nothing wrong with a recumbent which might be considered beginner, but keep in mind that with experience you might want something different. I’m only saying this because this had been my own tendency before. Now I buy things that are a tiny bit advanced for me, knowing that I’ll grow into it.
Thanks for your comments! I have ridden a SWB, OSS recumbent tandem before for a full day, as well as the mentioned USS streetmachine. Those were very fine. I am thrilled by USS (!) touring recumbents, because there's nothing between me and the surroundings. It gets the 'recumbent grin' going in no time.

As for growing into a bike: this seems to be an especially important thing with recumbents, given their value and effort to get one. I am a bit cautious over picking one just because of internet research. Bikes feels very different on the internet, than in real life... I have heard comments along lines of 'growing into it' for the 2x26in wheels, compared to a 20/26 setup. I really would like to know how a 2x26 feels and how it feels on the long run, compared to 20/26.
Maybe, I'll start another thread some time about my specific desires and bikes to consider.

Last edited by alias5000; 02-23-18 at 12:07 PM.