Old 02-23-18, 12:26 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
...Ok, I'm thinking of getting a Brompton. I'm a road bike nerd and love lightweight machines. But does weight really matter with a Brompton?...
I wouldn't worry about weight too much, I've loaded every nook and cranny that didn't impact the fold, and she just weighed in at 35lbs on my luggage scale . With the rack and X-roller mod, most of the time I just wheel it in shopping cart mode. Then if you learn how to shoulder carry the bike (water container style), it's still the easiest bike I've ever carried due to its compact/locking fold. I must carry mine 1/4-1/2 mile per day while touring, mostly in/out wild camping spots, but also through multi-modal transport, and once I hike it up a 30 story staircase.

I'd vote for non-ti, 6speed, rack, and P bars. I don't find low bars, or high bars, to be particularly comfortable... rather it's the constant switching between two that is most comfortable - like drop bars on a road bike. The P bars maybe ugly, but function over form and you're riding a circus bike anyways .

Good luck.