View Single Post
Old 02-26-18, 11:41 AM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Unfortunately, bringing this post back to life two years later, as I still haven't resolved this cramping issue and could desperately use further input.

1) I've determined that pickle juice and mustard do not work. In fact, I would almost say that a large swig of pickle juice makes the cramping worse within 5-7 minutes

2) Last summer, through trial and error I found that consuming a lot of water was helping my long-standing muscle recovery problem. Around a gallon a day. However, in the process, I also learned first-hand what hyper-hydration is...it caused major, ride-ending cramps generally within 30 miles. Should note that I was still consuming Gatorade during/after rides during this experiment, but did not increase my electrolyte intake over normal.

3) As noted previously, I expel a lot of salt, even on cold, deep-winter days. I have tried both pre-loading on salty foods, and consuming heavy-salt foods mid-ride to no avail.

4) I also last summer tried GU electrolyte tablets in lieu of Gatorade, and at one point experimented with pre-loading with one bottle and then drinking four bottles over a 2.5-3 hour period with the tablets to load up during the ride - effectively going overboard with intake - also to no avail. The question is, can someone be so low on electrolytes that they need to load up by consuming several glasses of Gatorade/GU/etc. a day throughout the season to maintain the proper amount? I'm not opposed to trying this, but mainly haven't because of the dental health ramifications of consuming a lot of sports drinks.

5) The onset of cramping is noticeably worse in cold temperatures. I've seen mention of theories of tight muscles and tendons causing leg cramping. I do know that I suffer from cold-induced tightness in the legs that stretching will not cure, as most winters I deal with painful knee issues that instantly disappear when the temperature rises. Is there any actual truth to this theory?

6) While not directly related but included for context, as part of my job I spend about 5-6 weekends a year doing a lot of crouching and kneeling over long hours. In a matter of less than one day, I routinely develop cramps and pains in my thighs that can only be described as the feeling of being struck repeatedly in the thighs by a ball-bat. These pains generally take a week to fully subside and make it difficult to even walk right or go up stairs.

7) The only thing I have not experimented with is taking specific vitamins. I have taken magnesium for a period before, but not during the height of cycling season nor likely in a dose that would make a difference in an endurance sport scenario. Any input here?

I'm 34, 170 lbs., ride about 8,000 miles a year, and don't have any known health issues. The unfortunate part of this is that since taking up cycling several years ago, I've been unable to reach goals I'd like attain in regards to mileage/climbing/routes. I'm unable to participate in out-of-town rides and events because I don't know the terrain nor have a pickup when the inevitable happens. Going riding with friends in the mountains is impossible. Taking part in hilly charity rides is likewise impossible. Frustrating, to say the least.