Old 02-27-18, 09:22 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,461 Posts
@Heathpack IMO, your position in the photo is perfect from a frontal area perspective. Drag force CdA is equal to the frontal area in meters squared (A) times a dimensionless number Cd: the drag coefficient. So your pic has your head even with your shoulders which are rounded - perfect. I would assume that you had whatever visibility you had and you thought it was sufficient.

My comment was about me. Forward visibility is about structure of the skull and how far ones eyes are set back, helmet design, eyelid droop (mine are droopy) and neck flexibility to name a few.

If I am riding around on the TT bike training and going fast i.e. flat versus climbing, I tend to set the bars up and go for less neck strain and greater visibility. For racing on the track by myself or in team events, I go for best aero and take a little neck strain.

What is interesting is that I jacked my neck riding my road bike on Santiago Canyon trying to go lower in the drops and faster. The pain hung around for about 6 months.

Ideally, I should train as I race for maximum strength and adaptation.