cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Many moons ago I worked for a big office equipment and tech company. I started out in the warehouse and slowly worked my up to lead. When I first started I was only about 9 miles from the base warehouse so riding my bicycle sounds pretty good. We had lockers and a shower so I could pretty much hit it hard all the way to work and cruise home. That worked pretty well as long as I was out on the floor working mostly with other men. But the front office had more of a dress code.and a higher number of women working. Slacks, dress shirt and tie for men was mandatory until you made management and then dress coat was added.

In my case I discovered that promotions and movement into an office environment can be a game changer when it comes to working and sweat. There is a entire industry based on eliminating body order. The commercials for Fabreeze show a series of cases where someone has become nose blind to sweat, a kids room before a study session with his girlfriend or has his room smells like a locker room. Duluth trading company offers underwear that is both comfortable and "they won't stink".

It may be corporate identity or societies expectation but from high school through college and even our military you exercise till you sweat and you shower before rejoining the public. Body order is to be avoided much like food caught on your teeth.

I gave up cycling to work, switched to motorcycles and finally when I had meeting with customers moved back to cars. It didn't take long to get used to cup holder, air conditioning and a great sound system. It took years to come back to the bicycle.
I work in a white collar environment and in close proximity to people. A small amount of exertional sweat will dry without leaving much odour, especially if you wear cotton clothes. It's only if you sweat profusely and/or let it go more than 24 hours that it becomes noticeable. Synthetic clothes don't work, however - synthetic fabric facilitates the growth of odour causing bacteria, so with even a small amount of sweat they start to stink the same day - it's actually the clothes that start to smell, not the person wearing them.

Some synthetic garments may be treated to prevent odour but I don't know how well it works