Bike Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone have experience with Stone oval 1x chainrings?
Old 03-03-18, 06:39 PM
RoadLight

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does anyone have experience with Stone oval 1x chainrings?

Greetings,

I've been using a SRAM Red 22 crank in a 1x drivetrain with a 50t SRAM X-sync 1x chainring on a road bike for over a year (about 7,000 miles) and am very happy with it. With an 11-28t cassette, it matches the low rolling hills of my location very well. But I'd like to make a few tweaks.

First, I'd very much like to try an oval chainring to see if it will improve my power. Second, I'd like to try a 1x chainring with the wide/narrow teeth but without the clean-out bulge that SRAM includes on their 1x chainring teeth to clear debris from the chain during muddy cyclocross racing. (My bike stays on smooth paved roads and I believe the tooth bulge adds unnecessary friction. So I'd like wide/narrow teeth that are smooth.)

Until recently, I didn't think that anyone made a 50t oval chainring for 1x that would work with a five-spoke crank spider with a 110 BCD. And, since this is an experiment, I'd like to avoid an expensive custom chainring. So I'm considering a "Stone" model from China. It's available both on eBay and AliExpress. Here are the links to current listings: eBay AliExpress.

I'm hoping that a member of this forum will be familiar with these chainrings and can answer some questions:

1 - Will the Stone oval 1x chainrings work with a SRAM Red 22 crank? These cranks have a hidden bolt behind the crank arm that inserts from the back side of the chainring. This requires the chainring to have a thickness at the mounting holes of 4.0 mm.

2 - Are the teeth of the Stone oval 1x chainrings offset toward the frame like other 1x chainrings (so the teeth of the chainring are aligned toward the centerline of the cassette)? If I remember correctly, the teeth on my SRAM X-sync 1x chainring are offset about 2 mm toward the frame to move them closer to the center of the cassette. (Note: This is about 3.5 to 4.0 mm inward of the tooth position of an outer 2x chainring.)

3 - Any experience with the durability and quality of these Stone oval 1x chainrings? They look kind of fragile to me.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Kind regards, RoadLight